Skip to main content

Model World 2006

Here's Meathammer with its scoop sitting on the bench charging quietly before some "football"

and here we are in the air after being shunted by KR3.
We failed the assualt course miserably, too much slide and spin.. cutting in the dual rate helped.. but too late.
Did better on the sumo table, won the first 3 bouts, but when we were up again against scorpion we were out shoved.
Playing football has broken a set of plastic gears in one of the gearboxes, which I can fix... but one of the pinions has come loose too. not sure If I can fix that in situ. The driveshafts are desperatly in need of more support, and I think I'll have to add some bearing blocks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ready for action

Just put the finishing touches to Meathammer
The whole setup works quite well.. I'm off to modelworld to run it through it's paces a couple of times.
The weak bits look to be the drive shafts, which I'd like to bulk up to at least 20mm and have some better bearnings for.
The battery packs are also a bit weedy, but we'll see how they last, and may invest in a few high output packs.
Of course it could also really do with running the 4QD 35's or 60's instead of the electronise speedies.. but we'll see how it performs and make amends.
Since I took this phot I've added a hinged scoop, so we can get under other feathers... it's a popular design in the states, should work over here.
I only need to wire in an LED to show power and then we are ok to roll.

The weakness of machines

All of the robots I have built have failed in fights, and usually at the axles/wheels, it's like a running joke.
So why should it be any different with this featherweight?
Meathammer was designed back in 2005/06 when using 4 drill motors was a bit of a novelty... it was made more novel still by mounting the epicyclic gear cages directly to the chassis, which unfortunately sends all the drive shocks back through the gearbox.

The original version ran for a number of fights at modelworld 2006? and even won some, especially the sumo, which favoured its very low profile.
I've just rebuilt the gearboxes with all metal gears, and tested it, and it seems it should last for at least one fight… but as I put it in the car after testing, I noted one of the wheels had nearly fallen off. Mark that bolt for Lockthreading!

All this got me thinking if I could make something less likely to lose a wheel, break a gearbox etc
I have a huge pile of bits and bobs that were destined for heavier machi…

Jansen Arduino

I bought two Gakken walker kits from ebay last Christmas, and finally got round to doing something with them.
I disconnected the propellors, and the reduction gears and fixed the couplings to a couple of rotation hacked servos.


I laser cut some servo mounts and hung them on some brass tubing to join the two sets together.